Video News

News

A note of gratitude

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 @ 10:05 AM ed

Dear Fellow Ethiopians,

On Friday 18th May 2012, I voiced the anger, frustration and aspiration of the Ethiopian people in front of world leaders at the G8 food security symposium in Washington DC. “Freedom! Freedom! Freedom!,” was the clarion call that I spoke to power. I condemned Meles Zenawi and his dictatorship in front of his pay masters and sponsors.

Ethiopia deserves better than a deceitful tyrant, who is brutally exploiting, abusing, jailing, torturing and killing our brothers and sisters in every corner of Ethiopia. We need freedom. That has been made clear to the whole world.

Following that eventful day, my fellow Ethiopians from around the world have been expressing their feelings. I have been overwhelmed with the response; praises and poems. Some are calling me a hero, others say I deserve honor. While I appreciate all the outpour of support, this is not about me. It is not about my heroism but the truth that must be told with utmost clarity. It is about our country, people and the freedom and dignity we deserve. The time has come to claim our God-given rights that nobody can take away, grant or deny.

Let us focus on the ultimate prize. We have to finish the job and declare our freedom. Then we can also proudly sing together as Ethiopians, equal as citizens, “Free at last, free at last…Thank God Almight we are free at last.”

I will say and write more this and the next steps.

I thank you so much for your support.

Ethiopia shall be free!

Humbly yours

Abebe Gellaw

24 Responses to “A note of gratitude”

1. mariam,kathleen says:

Dear Abebe gellaw,

AFTER WHAT U DID….
    I BELIVE THE FIRST TIME OH THERE IS ONE JOURNALIST WHO IS WORKING FOR THE PEOPLE
    BECAUSE I AM TIRED OF HERING A LIE IF GOD GIVE ME ONE DAY A POWER I AM GOING TO PUT ALL JOURNALIST WHO TELL US A LIE AND ADVICE THEM TO FOLLOW GOD ROAD BE NESEA……

DO U KNEW ALL THE MODERN SCHOOL ARE TALKING LIE BY MY EXPERIENCE OF TRAVELLING THEY TEACH ABOUT THE HISTORY IS LIE,ABOUT BIOLOGY IS LIE THAT CHARELES DARWIN TEORY TO MAKE ALL THE GENERATION CRAZY I NEED HELP TO FIGHT FOR THE NEXT GENERATION…THEY MAKE USELESS BUT I DON’T LET THEM DO IT FOR OUR CHILDREN.

U KNEW WHAT LIE DOING THE HUMAN BEING SPOILED OUR BRAIN AND MAKE US CRAZY THAT IS ALL THE MEDIA WORKING THIS TIME ALL ALL ALL THEY MAY BE TALK 5% OF THE TRUTH BUT YOU ARE THE FIRST PERSON WHO TALK 100%……I HOPE THEY DON’T BUY YOU LIKE THEY BUY VOA TO TELL THEIR LIE I PRAY FOR YOU I WANT ALSO TO MEET YOU COZ I HAVE A BIG IDEA THAT CAN SOLVE THE PROBLEM OF NOT ONLY OUR COUNTRY BUT ALSO THE WORLD……PLEASE LET ME KNOW UR NUMBER………GEGNA

2. tazabi says:

Hi Abebe,

I would like to call you “The Brave Abebe”. You accomplished the mission with unprecedented and atmost bravery. Your powerful message is delievered preciecly to the most powerfuls. No doubt, every one who attended took notice of it. We saw the tyrant imploded infront of our eyes. This was the day Ethiopia has sent only one brave to tell (literally the powerful world) enough is enough.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

3. tibebu says:

abebe…….did you see how you change the sprit of ethiopian struggle.and let me tell you my btother something will happen any time soon. the fall of weyane……..thank you…………..

4. Koratu Meri says:

You are indeed a HERO. You used your verbal power whereas the coward and wicked Meles and his followers know only the language of aggression and brute force. You used civilized bullets of words whereas the uncivilized use the sheer force of blood and iron. What a difference. A coward and uncivilized is one who cannot rise up to be tolerant and use only the power of ideas.

What struck me most is not simply the embarrassment and making the king naked in front of the whole world. What struck me highest was to see that Meles is a dumb drama-king who has bought the character he is playing in the world stage. I thought the “intelligent, well-read and visionary” veil was something sold for us to believe. Not the other way around. the foolishness of Meles was seen in his anger and desperation at that crushing moment. I thought that he knew that he is not extraordinary but just the “English-speaking dictator he is”. the foolishness of Meles is the fact that he believed that the character he created for his followers – that he is great. I thought he knew better that that. He is only the Koratu Meri for aigaforum and his brainchilds.

Meles is as his organization defines him “the Tigrian liberation”. He cannot wear a suit that is more wide than Tigray and I cannot see him any larger than that. He is just the Tigray liberator. He is as small as that.

So Meles felt crushed the same way he is crushing the hopes and dreams of millions. That was a cringing moment for him to remember and unable to erase it from people’s minds. I am happy that people in Ethiopia had discovered the method to watch it in a creative manner. thanks to the internet.

That was a defining time for Meles and the world over. What Meles tried to construct in the minds of the world, and most importantly in the minds of the Diaspora and the people was deconstructed to utter collapse in 50 seconds. What an amazing world! No one can now try me believe that Meles is anything other than the “English-speaking DICTATOR.”

5. Sahle bedane says:

Hi Abe,

I just looked at on of the websites. Is it true or have they edited it?

Please I wait for your answer.

6. Sahle bedane says:

Hi Abe,

I just looked what went on the Regaen Center at one of the websites; I have sent the link below. Is it true or have they edited it?

Please I wait for your answer.

7. Sahle says:

Hey Abe,

Am waiting; is this really, truely, what happened? Please that is my email. Just say Yes or No. I am writing a poem for you. I need to finish or stop it?

Regards

8. dawit says:

I am glad you are taking this in stride. Sure, millions of Ethiopians, especially the forgotten journalists, Ryot Alemu, Eskindir Nega, and others who are rotting in the dungeons of the Tyrant are grateful; nothing to say of the millions of Ethiopians who are languishing in no better prison called Ethiopia.

And it is because he knew what he is doing, that the Tyrant was cowered. People say it is because he is humiliated. You humiliate someone when you do more crime to his person than he committed on others. Meles Zenawi has committed enough crime for one person that he is way beyond redress. Even his death will never balance the balancesheet. Our only hope is he will be gone and a better, more sensible leader will come.

In summary, what you did was the RIGHT thing to do. It was not a victory. You have yet a huge task ahead of you. As long as the tin pot dictator keep deporting 22,000 people in their own country, we have no time to rest. No time to celebrate victory. We need to get rid off this blight of history, this loathsome, hateful, deranged midget and set a foundation where no future generation will ever suffer this kind of evil ever again.

9. David says:

Re :Abebe Gelaw

Changing the incidental victory in to a diplomatic victory.

I believe it is very important for ESAT to makea T-shirts only with the picture of (YOU) Abebe Gelaw without the picture of that “dirty person” printed on them and sell them to ethiopians.

-That can help Esat to raise money
    - It will help to get more diplomatic victory
    - It will help the incident to be remembered for a long time

Personally, I am ready to purchase it. This will not be a big job for Esat or other cause. It is very easy. Please think about it.
    It is very easy to sell anything in USA.
    - You can sell it using Amazon
    - You can sell it using UPS or DHL
    - Having Ethiopians with the human right cause – on T-shirts is very important to eliminate our mental dependence on foreigners and to concentrate on human rights.

- selling only from your office can not be successful. By the way Sisay Agena’s book
    should also be sold with Amazon or similar way to be successful.

With regards,

10. fikrealem says:

That’s a great message Abebe. I am noticing a serious focus on your part, a focus away from self and one that’s firmly pointing on the ultimate goal of freeing our country. And you are leading by example when you say “The time has come to claim our God-given rights that nobody can take away, grant or deny”. It touches my heart when I hear these words that have so much deep meaning and history and that I also firmly believe we will one day say together “then we can also proudly sing together as Ethiopians, equal as citizens, “Free at last, free at last…Thank God Almight we are free at last…”

Very excited to read what you’ll write on the next steps.

Thank you, Abebe. Thank you so much.

11. alu says:

Dear Abebe,
    Thank you for being the voice of the voiceless Ethiopian people. It takes the will and the courage to act as what you shown to us. Many of use who simply voice our anger in the blog sphere needs to come out in the open and hunt down Melese and his henchmen. The TPLF supporter are now crying loud in every net work and social media. Every one of us needs to take action not only on Melese but also on his spys working abroad. We need to win the game.

12. Demisse says:

I really appreciate the thing that you did. And I do support your golden idea. As you know, a struggle needs seriously designed holistic strategy to achieve the expected goal. Also unified and a strong leadership is so crucial. The struggle for freedom should be organized and lead systematically with full knowledge of politics and international facts. We have to seriously analysis why USA and other western countries support Melese government. These countries need to be sure our struggle can keep their interest as it were. This is so important in order to get their support. I believe getting such support from these worldwide dominant countries, is so important to bring the expected government change in Ethiopia within short period of time. For this reason, we need to show political and ideological advanced political program to get a serious attention in the world. This is just because, the end game of the struggle is not only changing the government but also it should bring real change to the country. Therefore, such struggle needs a serious strategy and strong leadership.
    Do you get sense?
    Thank you so much!!!

13. Tedla Asfaw says:

Dear Fellow Africans,

Ethiopians in the Diaspora are ready for this afternoon program of Straight Talk Africa so am I. Straight Talk Africa Ethiopian callers will flood the program today, 2:30pm to 3:30pm EST. Hope the producers will handle the traffic. May 18, (5/18) which we dubbed it as “No Dictator Day” will be celebrated thanks to the brave act of Abebe Gellaw one of ESAT TV producers who exposed Meles Zenawi for who he is, Dictator, Human Right Abuser. Abebe said, We demand Freedom, Freedom, Freedom before Food !!!!

This is also what I call ” The Rosa Park Factor” for the brave black woman in USA who defied the White establishment of discrimination and segregation in 1960s by refusing to give Her Seat for White Person. Following that defiance the March for Freedom to end discrimination has started. We had the first African American President in 2008. The whole Africa and the young generation of the World supported Obama. Unfortunately, Obama betrayed his own words of freedom and accountability we heard in the Ghanaian parliament in 2008 and chose to sleep with Meles Zenawi. Shame on Obama !!!!

Abebe Gellaw’s defiance of Obama and other Western powers in their own conference last Friday at Regan Building in Washington DC has already made Abebe Gellaw a rallying cry to end dictatorship in Ethiopia once and for all. Abebe is the Rosa Park of Ethiopia !!!! President Obama the beneficiary of Rosa Park Torch undermined his credibility in Africa and in the eyes of young people all over the world big time by mixing Ghana a true Democracy with Meles of Ethiopia another Western loved Mubarak. Mubarak was removed 15 months ago by popular uprising and today Egyptians are electing a new president for the first time. We are certain that day will come to Ethiopia inspired by heroic deed of Abebe Gellaw. Many more Abebe Gellaw’s will flourish in Ethiopia and in the Diaspora. Freedom Now !!! Freedom Tomorrow !!!! That is the only weapon that will guarantee everything including Food Security.

Alah WaKiber,

Egzeabher YeTekebere Yehune,

14. Tedla Asfaw says:

Thanks,

Tedla Asfaw

15. Seretse Netsanet says:

Dear Abebe,
    Your courage and voice reminded me of the generation of the late 70s, the time we lost hundreds of cream Ethiopians on the streets of Addis and elsewhere in Ethiopia,echoing “Freedom and Democrasy”. However, I found yours very exceptional! You have really picked up the right place, the right congregation and the right time to reflect the immediate needs of all of us ,Ethiopians.

Well-done Abebe. You really hit the nail on the head!!! I will write more!

16. Wondwossen Tesfaye says:

Thank you Abebe Gelaw!!! You showed us how we can break Dictators within seconds. The first day I saw the video I was so happy that I couldn’t even sleep. With courageous people like you we will soon get rid of this criminals. You wrote history and you will be remebered as the heroic journalist forever. Thanks again!

17. koster says:

Ethiopian hero journalist Abebe Gelaw thank you for being a mouthpiece for the voiceless Millions who are languishing under fascist Meles state terror. Ethiopia has lots of Ph.Ds, Engineers, Doctors but few who really understand and feel the suffering of their people. You are the very few who understand and feel the suffering of millions. Amhara peasants are systematically killed by denying land to till and feed their people and this is done by hodam Addisu Legesse just to please his masters – Tigrean fascists. I hope he will pay a dear price not only in hell but on earth. Our grandparents fought successully fascist Mussoloni who invaded Ethiopia to loot and build his country – Italy. Fascist Meles is doing the same, he is looting Ethiopia just to build what he considers as his country – TIGRAI. Keep up your struggle against the fascists and millions are behind you. Thank you.

18. Titi says:

shouting out like that was uncalled for. you could have challenged the PM with question/ or even write something about it but you made yourself look like a fool shouting out like that. Did you hear what they say at the end? Security….ok we heard what you had to say.
    this is not a Hero……this is another crazy person!!!

19. Tulu says:

I think Abebe’s action has nothing to do with his heroism. Admiration is good but we need to worry about our individaul fear. He did not respond in such way becuase he wants to be a hero. I don’t think he cared about it. He showed us not to be tied down with fear, no matter what. He cared much about his one minute message. I am sure he made all the listners to think about their role in the demise of Ethiopia and he of course embarrassed the co-diners and spoon feeders of Meles.

20. Mengesha says:

Abe, Yes it is a proud moment for those of us who love our freedom. It is a happy moment for all who consider themselves as humans than slaves.You delivered truth to those leaders who demand autonomy over their subjects by any means necessary. All in all you preached the world that Freedom is priceless. Those who live for food don’e have brain.

As you said we need to continue demanding our freedom until we get it. The time is not for celebration but for builing on your bravery and march on.

Thank you Abe, God bless you abundently. May God help us liberate our beloved Ethiopia from this deceitful dictator!!!!!

Mengesha,

21. belay says:

Bravo Abe. Abebe Gelaw is a hero Ethiopian. We will stand with yiopu

22. Amedetsion says:

I can only imagine who it feels when Ethiopians call you our hero. I never been in a situation to accomplish a mission that overwhelmingly moved Ethiopian world-wide. What is unique with you? Sure you are proactive person: who is capable of creating conducive working environment even under difficult circumstances, who do not allow conditions to dictate him, or a person who can not be manipulated. We have been friends since we were a young students at AAU. Remember, you had the same energy and courage to confront the former dictator Mingestu H/Mariam. Had you confronted him, what would have been the outcome? I don’ know!! I believe, as written in the book of Ecclesiastes 3:1, “There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven.” Praise to the Lord for He gave onto you the right time and season to amplify “the anger, frustration and aspiration of the Ethiopian people in front of world leaders at the G8 food security symposium in Washington DC. “Freedom! Freedom! Freedom!” I believe the time has come for us, a bright day that we shall sing together a song of praise “Instead of their shame [Ethiopians] will receive a double portion, and instead of disgrace they will rejoice in their inheritance; …and everlasting joy will be theirs.” (Isaiah 61:7). Amen!!

23. Abba Tobia says:

Abebe Gelaw welcomed Woyane to Addis Ababa in 1991. He started opposing Woyane because he wanted but could not enter the palace of woyane. Therefore, he can not be a patriot.

Patriotic Ethiopians aret those who have never welcomed woyane and have never recognised Eprdf. After all, Ethiopians were warned who Woyane was long before this front entered Addis!!!